Friday, May 7, 2010

Quickie: Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner


Should I divorce my husband because he doesn’t recognize a classic Dirty Dancing quote when he hears it?

We were discussing a business situation, and I said, “Yeah, Ted* is not a person to be ignored. When it comes to Ted, ‘Nobody puts Baby in the corner.’”

And my husband is all, “Huh?”

“You know, ‘Nobody puts Baby in the corner,’” I say truly perplexed at his lack of understanding. I’m folding laundry, and I don’t even look up. “I mean, Ted is not exactly a shrinking violet.”

I see a glimmer in his eye - Husband thinks he sees a green light to start making fun of me. That bastard is actually smirking at this point. “Yeah, but what are you talking about with all that throwing baby out with the bath water stuff?”

“No. It’s ‘Nobody puts Baby in the corner.’” (Bastard is still smirking!) “Uh, from Dirty Dancing? Classic quote?” I say as now I feel fully warranted to my own green light to mock his embarrassing lack of this vital piece of pop culture common knowledge. At the very least, I shut down his green light. Damn fast. I am fully confident the world - or at least the geeks who make up my world - will grant me immunity on this one.

So what do you think? Everyone should be able to recognize and appreciate a well-placed “Nobody puts Baby in the corner,” don’t you think? Husband’s ass is off the island, right?

---

*Fake name to protect the guy we were talking about, whose real name is Ralph.**

**Yeah, Ralph is also a fake name. His real name is Joachim.***

***I think you know what I’m going to say here.

No comments:

Post a Comment